Our preferred method of collecting data was a survey. We decided to send a survey to a select sample of students in our school. Our survey received 70 responses The results of our survey proved that students have easy access to junk food in between mealtimes, it also proved that students regularly consume junk food in between mealtimes. 93% of students said that they eat junk food in between mealtimes, and 87% of students said they eat a few pieces of candy, enough to quench their hunger, or all that they could find.
Through this survey we also concluded that most students have easy access to junk food in their houses. In our survey we concluded 90% of students have easy access to junk food. Through another question in our survey we concluded that it won't be hard to limit junk food in between mealtimes. 83% of students said they would be able to limit junk food in between mealtimes. I found it interesting that so many people had easy access to junk food. We could have improved our survey by surveying a wide variety of people.
I feel our presentation at the forum went well. Our presentation was engaging and fun to listen to. The parents seemed to like our product and playing our game. We were asked many questions witch I feel we answered well. The parents also seemed to understand and sympathize with our problem, saying that it was a legitimate problem that our product could solve.
This week we finished our project and prepared for the forum. We
finished our game and connected it to a motor so it can open our box.
The majority of the week was spent on the poster and finishing the
game. We had to make our poster clear and exciting so people would
want to read it and be able to understand what we are trying to
accomplish. In our game we now have a score finished and it is fully
functional. We started working with the humming bird and we added it
to the programming in our game.
Everything now is looking better for our project. Things are starting
to come together and work out. We have been working well as a team and
we have been getting a lot done. Also we sent out our survey and got
lots of mixed results. These results helped us design our project and
make it for everyone.
We have made tremendous progress in building our online game and we
are almost finished. My friend and group mate Oliver has improved a
game he worked on a while ago so that it is challenging and it can
auto generate different math problems so it never runs out or repeats
problems that have already been solved. My group mate Kian and I
thought to let there be a score so when you reach a certain amount of
points on your score you will win therefore you will get the box to
unlock and reveal your daily treat. We have tested this game out many
time and it seems to entice and challenge our brains. We our making
the score in the game right now and we are sure that when we finish
our game it will educate and challenge the kids while preventing them
from eating too much junk food.
So right now you know about our game but you might be wondering where
the junk food will be kept and how the game will be attached to that.
Well my answer to that would be that I built a box that one thing of
junk food will be in each day. The box will be locked with a device
that one of our teacher, Lisa, introduced us to. It is called the
hummingbird. It is a device that can be attached to an object and move
it by being programmed to do so on systems like scratch which is where
we made our math game. We are going to program the hummingbird to open
my prototype box when the player of the game reaches the score
necessary to win. The hummingbird is going to certainly advance our
original product and it will work great. Our progress is going well
and I am excited to reveal our final project when we finally finish
I feel we made the most progress we have made this week. We contacted many companies, specified our solution, and have done work completing our solution. Our project has progressed from a specialized lock to a educational system. Throughout this week decisions were made valuing possibility and the effect of our solution. Our group worked well to come up with a solution that had a measurable effect and we could complete in the remaining time we have. During this week we have contacted many game companies to help us create a learn and reward system.
In the first week of the CBL project we were deciding on a need. Our need became childhood obesity. It took us the whole week to come to this need. We were brainstorming good health and well-being. We wrote lots of good ideas for needs. None of the other ideas looked nearly as good as obesity. It really stuck out at us and we decided to try it. We still needed to narrow the need, so we went with childhood obesity. Juvenile obesity is more specific. We then needed to find out the cause of obesity instead of going after the people who are already obese. So we then decided to go after eating extra snacks between mealtimes. For example, eating a bowl of ice cream at 3:00 in the afternoon.
Then we needed to figure out a solution to this problem. We figured out that most of the junk food is eaten when the parents aren’t home. So we settled on something to limit the child’s access to junk food. So we made the design for a lock that can be unlocked by a code that only the parents know. If we can, we will make it connect to the parents phone so that they can unlock whenever they wish. We feel that this contraption will help to eradicate